Skip to content

The Cutler of Milan

January 16, 2015

Dunhill acquired the archives of G. Lorenzi after the store closed in 2014. The are currently exhibiting some of the archive at the Bourdon House in London from 12-21 January, 2015.

From the press release: Founder Giovanni Lorenzi, began life as a cacial or knife grinders assistant, before opening the store together with his wife Lina in 1929, selling and repairing knives and scissors. The couple soon established a network of artisans and commissioned them to make objects of their own specifications.

After Giovanni retired in the 1950’s, his sons Aldo and Franco took the reins, and Aldo and his wife Edda further expanded the network of specialist suppliers, from all over the world, including 500 for knives alone. Inside the wood lined, copper framed exterior, G. Lorenzi had become a Mecca for men, packed with exquisite, one of a kind tools for men, crafted from forged Damascus stainless steel, brass, nickel, silver or gold and finished in precious and rare natural materials such as crown stag, buffalo or ox horn, ivory, fossilised walrus, Makassar ebony, briar root, tortoiseshell or crocodile.

The offer grew to include anything and everything a gentleman might need, knives for carving, fish, oysters, all types of cheese and multi-blade pocket knives. Pipes, cigar cutters and cases, lighters and humidifiers, all the requisites for smokers. Shaving brushes & bowls, razors, mirrors, manicure and grooming sets, shoe horns, hair and clothes brushes for impeccable grooming.

The exhibit will later travel to other Dunhill Homes around the world.

dunhill-lorenzi-05

dunhill-lorenzi-04

dunhill-lorenzi-03

dunhill-lorenzi-02

dunhill-lorenzi-01

images courtesy Dunhill

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: